Stone Church Open House!
The Montgomery Area Historical Society held an Open House at the Old Stone Church, located on on the grounds of the Bureau of Prisons, Allenwood, Saturday, May 25th from 10am until 2pm. This was an opportunity to tour the inside of the church and explore the historical cemetery in the light and warmth of the season.
Many visitors brought their cameras and took pictures of the headstones and church stained glass windows.
LOOKING AHEAD TO 2013: A bus trip to Gettysburg Battlegrounds is being arranged with David Richards as our tour guide.
KEEP AN EYE ON THE CHANGING DISPLAYS IN THE WINDOWS at 1 West Houston Avenue.
Candlelight Service 2012
Stone Church Open House and Candlelight Service
After the business was closed and the shop vacated, the historical society board members toured the space and determined that it could serve as an appropriate area for displaying and storing the society's collection.
Effective April 1, 2010, the library board approved renting the space to the historical society. Over the past several months, the former print shop has been cleaned, painted, and renovated.
Montgomery Police Chief Terry Lynn presented a look back at the history of the Montgomery area police force. His presentation honored the late Montgomery Police Chief Henry S. Hand, who died in the line of duty when he was shot and killed during an unprovoked attack while he was standing on West Houston Avenue on December 13, 1938. He was 36 years old.
In 1994, former Montgomery mayor Alfred Douglas initiated the re-naming of Park Street, which runs parallel to the railroad tracks near the Montgomery Post Office, to Henry Hand Drive in memory of our former police chief.
Mr. Carl Meiss, Public Relations and Membership Director of the Pennsylvania State Grange, was our featured speaker at our meeting on March 16. Mr. Meiss spoke on the history of the PA Grange.
Montgomery’s Eagle Grange #1, the first Grange to ever open in PA, was officially chartered on March 4, 1871 by D. S. Curtis from Lycoming County. Their first Master (President) was Luke Eger, from Montgomery and the Secretary was Abraham Page, also from Montgomery. There were 39 original "Charter" members at Eagle Grange #1.
Link to article in the Muncy Luminary on Eagle Grange #1: here
Mr. John J. Eastlake, a local historian from South Williamsport, PA, gave us a look back at the history of the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camps (1933-1942). Enrollees into the CCC had to be unemployed, unmarried, and between the ages of 18 and 26. Jobs included road building, forestry labor, and flood control.
Bruce Teeple, writer, local historian, and columnist for the Centre Daily Times, spoke on the life and times of Prince David Farrington, a moonshiner and bootlegger whose family operated an illicit liquor business during the first half of the twentieth century and satisfied markets stretching from Williamsport and Lock Haven to Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. Mr. Teeple is currently researching and writing his book "As Good as a Handshake: the Farringtons and the Political Culture of Moonshine in Central Pennsylvania".